Senior Cat Wellness Care
Senior Cat Wellness Care Stages
Semi annual visits for your senior cat is a great way to ensure they stay healthy and happy!
Tribeca Veterinary Wellness is honored to care for and support your senior kitties during their noble and full lives, and proud to offer comprehensive senior feline wellness care as the best way you can continue to ensure the best preventative health care, comfort and longevity for all of the fantastic feline companions in your family!
Throughout this important stage of every cat’s life, almost nothing is more important than setting a good foundation for your feline’s wellness. At Tribeca Veterinary Wellness we want to help you to explore all you need to know about your senior cats’ changing needs, and using these to create a customized care plan for their longevity as senior adult cats.
Topics covered include:
- Lifetime wellness care needs
- Senior cats' nutritional needs and options for a proper diet, specific for any medical conditions to which diet and dietary supplements can be tailored.
- How to recognize feline arthritis, osteoarthritis, and degenerative joint disease and how to maintain comfort, exercise and nutritional support tailored to these common conditions.
- Maintaining muscle mass
- Excessive thirst and elimination
- Cognitive changes
- Life stage and exposure specific vaccination needs discussion
- Common medical conditions of senior cats and how to "pounce on them" them early
- Testing and evaluation of your senior cat for common medical conditions- Yearly Senior Wellness Lab Panel beginning at age 7
- Dental hygiene guidelines and stepwise desensitization for Tooth brushing techniques
- Screening for parasites such as fleas and ear mites, as well as intestinal parasites (we follow the CAPC guidelines for deworming of all pets, using either a monthly topical preventative or a quarterly oral general dewormer and parasite-tailored dewormers for any specific infections found on yearly fecal tests.)
- Parasite elimination and prevention for your cat (and also and for human safety)
- Discussion of changes in claw and grooming care needs with age
- Claw trimming, if permitted
- Genetic screening and detection
- Desensitization and reward based training and behavioral modification plans to help you and your cats live in harmony
- Blending and incorporation of a new cat or kitten into a household with senior pets.
- Discussions of common household hazards for cats.
With so much possible to watch for, cover and discuss, it is a good thing that each senior cat needs wellness visits every 6 months for examinations and occasional routine basic vaccination, screenings, and deworming/anti-parasite treatments!