Puppy Wellness Care
Puppy Wellness Stages
Tribeca Veterinary Wellness is proud to offer comprehensive new puppy wellness care as one of the best ways you can get started on a good foot with the new little exuberant fuzzy, furry bundle of joy in your family!
Puppy-hood is one of the most fun (and challenging!) stages of a dog's life, and almost nothing is more important than setting a good foundation for you new puppy's wellness. At Tribeca Veterinary Wellness we want to help you to explore all you need to know and using this to create a customized care plan for their life, puppy through mature canine companion.
Topics covered include
- Lifetime wellness care needs
- Puppies' nutritional needs and options for a proper diet
- Parasite elimination and prevention for your puppy (and also for human safety)
- Dental hygiene guidelines and stepwise desensitization for Tooth brushing techniques
- Screening for parasites such as fleas and ear mites, as well as intestinal parasites (we follow the CAPC guidelines for deworming of all pets, using either a monthly topical preventative or a quarterly oral general dewormer and parasite-tailored dewormers for any specific infections found on yearly fecal tests.)
- Testing and Evaluation of your puppy for other common medical conditions- first junior wellness lab panel at 6 month visit/prior to spay/neuter, then yearly for ages 1-6 years, then yearly senior wellness lab panel beginning at age 7.
- Genetic screening and early detection of congenital issues, MDR1 Testing for mixed breed, rescue puppies and high-risk breeds
- Age determination based upon teeth
- When can your puppy go outside?
- Socialization and Canine “Good Citizen” Training
- Life stage and exposure specific vaccination needs discussion
- Paw desensitization and nail trimming instructions for puppies
- Ear desensitization and “practice-cleaning” of ears for puppies
- Desensitization and reward based training and behavioral modification plans to help mold and integrate your puppy into your life
- Advice to help you and your new puppy dog live in harmony
- Discussions of Tick Borne Diseases and the safest preventative measures to take for the whole family
- Blending and Incorporation of a new puppy into a household with other pets
- Discussions of common household hazards for puppies and dogs
- Bite inhibition training, distraction, and soothing for teething puppies
- Sleeping through the night, setting up a Long Term Confinement Area to avoid puppies learning to chew on inappropriate items in your home and learn to get into things, Crate Training.
- Housetraining/potty training/”housebreaking”, indoor wee-wee pad training and transitioning from wee-wee pads to outside
- Barking and Whining
- Commands and Reward-Based Training as techniques for bonding, control and as distraction techniques
- Puppies and Children
- Which breed and type of dog is right for me?
With so much possible to cover and discuss, it is a good thing that each puppy needs several wellness visits in puppy-hood that a puppy needs for examinations and occasional routine basic vaccinations, screenings, and deworming/anti-parasite treatments!