Senior Dog Wellness Care
Back to Senior Dog Wellness Care
7 years of age and older: Semi Annual Wellness Exams:
Every 6 month Check-ups (every 3 months if certain chronic medical conditions exist which require more frequent monitoring), includes:
- Full wellness exam review of body systems
- Charting of weight trends Charting (and testing as indicated) of any new lumps, bumps, or skin conditions
- Body Condition Scoring, Muscle Condition Scoring, ideal weight determination and Senior Nutritional Counseling
- Yearly Fecal Parasite Exam (Bring a stool sample!)
- Flea check (and ear mite testing, as needed)
- Topical antiparasite treatment monthly or Oral general dewormer quarterly
- DHPP (canine distemper hepatitis parainfluenza and parvo disease complex, often referred to as the "canine distemper-parvo" combination as it is the canine equivalent of cats' respiratory combination vaccination): every 3 years, after initial series.
- Rabies Vaccine every 3 years, after initial.
- Bordatella/Kennel Cough vaccine every 6 months , after initial series.
- Leptospirosis vaccine yearly, after initial series.
- Lyme Vaccination yearly after initial series of 2 vaccines, one month apart
- Canine Influenza (H3N8, H3N2) each yearly after initial series of 2 vaccines, one month apart
- Tribeca Veterinary Wellness does not recommend the routine use of Corona Virus Vaccination unless a dog will be spending time at dog shows, as this condition is typically affecting very young and breeding animals, and, like the human common cold, mutates so rapidly that it is not possible to get adequate prevention from a single vaccine type.
- Tribeca Veterinary Wellness does not recommend the routine use of Giardia Vaccines unless a patient is shown to have persistent shedding of the Giardia organism (cysts) after 2 rounds of an appropriate oral treatment regime. This is due to the fact that the vaccine does not work as a preventative, but is helpful only in reducing the re-contamination/re-infection caused by persistent shedding of the parasite in some infected individuals.
Toenail trimming, if permitted.
Yearly Senior Wellness Lab Panel beginning at age 7 and older.
Dentistry and Dental Cleanings scheduled as needed, within 30 days of lab-work: Ultrasonic Teeth Cleaning/Polishing, Dental Xrays, Identification of Significant Dental Disease and/or lesions, and tailored surgical and medical dental treatment for specific conditions identified
Schedule Spay or Neuter Surgery, if not already completed